Drug and Alcohol Policy Development
A drug and alcohol policy forms the foundation of addressing the use of substances in the workplace.
Having a comprehensive drug and alcohol policy in place was associated with significantly decreased probability of risky drinking and with any drug use. In fact, a University of NSW & Injury Risk Management Research Centre study found
“…drug (users) were more likely to work in companies that did not have policies against drug use or did not enforce existing policies and so may have more liberal attitudes to drug use…”
Does your workplace need a new policy?
Medvet works collaboratively with clients to create new policies. We bring our knowledge of best practice and expertise in the field to fully customise a drug and alcohol policy and procedure to meet your unique needs.
This could include
- Legal requirements (excluding industrial legal advice)
- The scientific reasons to select different testing options
- The most appropriate design of testing program
- Best practice in education and training - both employees and managers
- The role of rehabilitation and Employee Assistance Programs
- Best practice in disciplinary issues specific to drug and alcohol testing
- Issues associated with relevant union discussions
- Best practice in implementation and employee consultation
- Confidentiality and legal defensibility of testing
Do you already have a policy, but want it assessed?
Many clients already have a policy. This could be a purchased template, or something you have developed internally, possibly a while ago. Medvet can work with clients to assess current documents' effectiveness. Medvet applies all the knowledge and skills of policy development listed above to determine how your current policy or program meets your specific requirements needs.
Medvet recommends routine examination of how your business manages substances in the workplace, bringing in recent testing trends to ensure you are always achieving the best outcomes.